Sunday, June 2, 2019

SHS: John 13-17

John 13:
5 After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

 From the Syrian Orthodox Church in Jerusalem

John 13:
38 Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.

Door from the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu showing the Last Supper in which Jesus in blue is identifying Peter in red as the one who will deny him.

John 14:
27 PeaceI leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.

 From the beautiful gardens at the Garden Tomb.

Here are my thoughts from a few years back about the Israeli/Palestinian Conflict and what I think should be done to bring about political peace:

http://beitemmett.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-israelipalestinian-conflict-my-view.html

John 15:
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth  it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Thick vine, new branches and ripening fruit in Bethany. 

 Non-trellised vines in a Palestinian vineyard south of Bethlehem (1982).

More untrellised vines south of Bethlehem. Noticed the terraces of vines in the distance.

Impressive three story vine whose branches provide roof top shade in the Armenian Quarter of Jerusalem. 

John 15:
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved  you.

Sunday in Cape Town (2015)

Here is a blog post from 2015 in which I lament the lack of love and peace in the world today: 

No comments:

Post a Comment